‘’Blogs have been rated as the 5th most trustworthy source for getting information’’
Do you want to start a blog in 2020? If yes, that is a great decision to take. You must have been wondering how to go about starting your own blog, this is the blog post for you!
Certain research has shown that: ‘’There are currently more than 600 million blogs on the internet out of the 17 billion websites on the internet’’.
A blog (shortening of Weblog) is a tool that can help develop your online presence, attract leads, as well as engage with an audience. It can also be a series of editorial content centered around a topic that demonstrate industry expertise. An individuals or an organisation can start a blog. A blog post is an individual content page on your blog. In addition, you need to know that a blog is different from a website. Specifically, a blog needs to be constantly updated with contents.
Why You Should Start a Blog in 2020
- Blogging has quickly become one of the most popular way of communicating and spreading information: A blog is a great way to express yourself, as well as grow a community.
- It is a great way to connect with your target audience: As companies, a blog can be a great way to connect with your audience and also rank on search engines. The more frequent and better your blog posts are, the higher the chance for your website to be ranked on search engines and the higher your chances of you being discovered.
- A blog can help you be considered as an expert in your field of expertise: When your blog post creates value and resonate consistently with your audience’s need, they begin to recognise you as an expert in your field.
- Also, It can help increase and improve sales: Research has shown that ‘’60% of consumers says that blog posts are valuable in the early stages of the buying process’’-Demand Gen Report, 2019. That is, If you begin blogging about tips, ideas and ways to help customers, overtime, they’ll begin to recognise your brand and be willing to purchase from your brand because they’ve come to trust your brand.
Now, that you know why you should consider starting a blog, it’s time to help you on the journey to starting your blog.
Also Read: How to Plan Your Blog Content Like a Pro
How To Start a Blog in 2020
You need to understand your goal
The first thing to have in mind when starting your blog is to understand your goal. Why do you want to start the blog? What do you intend to write about? What do you want to achieve with the blog? All of these questions must be put into consideration before beginning the blog,
Choose a niche for your blog
A niche simply put is an area that you choose to specialise in. Your ideal niche is a combination of your passion, skills, expertise and experience. Your niche for your blog can be in marketing, cooking, dog training, etc. It all depends on what area you want to write about in your blog.
Choose a blogging platform
After choosing a niche, it’s important to decide how to get your blog online and what platform you’d like to use. There are various blogging platforms that you can choose from: wordpress, blogger, tumblr, etc. WordPress is considered to be the most popular blogging platform. It’s important to understand how these platforms work, for you to be able to choose the one that’s best for you.
Choose an attention grabbing theme
Your readers can shift their behaviour quite dramatically from your blog based on your blog layout. It can go a long way in determining if people will trust your blog or not. You need a choose a good and beautiful theme for your blog to look attractive and get more engagement. You can also use pictures and designs to make you blog stand out.
Start creating content
To make your blog engaging, you need to understand what interest audience in your niche. Look out for what readers are interested in, so that you can create quality and valuable content for your audience. Write your content just the way you talk, that way, your audience will be able to relate with your contents.
Promote your blog post
Research shows that ‘’97% of bloggers use social media to promote their blogpost’’. Let everyone know about your blog through your social media platforms. Tell your friends and families. Tell everyone that needs to know about your blog.
Create a long-term content strategy
The best way to keep, grow and build an engaging blog is to stay consistent in your blogpost and the way to do that is to create a content strategy. Create a calendar highlighting: the major topics you’ll like to write about in your blog, how often you’ll like to make a blogpost and how you intend to build engagement on your blog.
Create an about/contact page in your blog
Some basics and fundamental information are expected to be on your blog. You need to let your audience know: who you are, why people should listen to you and how they can get in touch with you if they have questions or want to work with you.
Commit to a regular publishing schedule
As a blogger, you need to stick a regular schedule for your post. If you’re going to post twice weekly, keep at it. This will give your audience an idea of when to expect your blog post and how to engage with you.
Connect with bloggers in your niche
This will give you a level of exposure to what to write about and how to create engaging contents for your blog.
Essential elements of a good blog post
An attention grabbing headline
The first thing that attracts a person to your blog is your headline. The more interesting and captivating your headline is, the higher the chances of people visiting your blog. Write captivating and interesting headlines for your blog.
A captivating lead paragraph
The first paragraph of your blog post should be able to hold your audience’s attention down to want to read the rest of your blog post.
Interesting supporting points: It’s not enough to grab your audience’s attention with the first paragraph of your blog post, it’s very important to retain and sustain it. And the way to do that is write interesting supporting points in your blog post.
Interesting supporting points
It’s not enough to grab your audience’s attention with the first paragraph of your blogpost, it’s very important to retain and sustain it. And the way to do that is write interesting supporting points in your blogpost.
A compelling call-to-action
You don’t want your audience reading your blogpost and wondering the next line of actions to take right? So, you must be able to state clearly what action you want them to take after reading the blogpost.
Are you on Instagram? Follow The Content Bae!
As much as writing a blog post is easy, there are some mistakes to avoid while writing it. Some of them are:
- Do not think of only what interests you, consistently have your audience in mind when writing your blogpost. Make a point to position your content around what your audience wants to discover, not what you want to tell them. Determine what matters to your audience and bridge the gap with your content.
- Writing stiffly: Do not make the mistake of writing stiffly on your blog. Write in a style that’s effortless to read. Write just the way you talk. Loosen up your writing and avoid jargon.
- Do not digress: Most blogposts are usually about a central topic. It’s important that you do not digress from the central focus of your blogpost.
- Avoid writing unrelatable content: Write contents that are relatable and personable to your audience.
Now that you know, how to start a blog in 2020, take the action now! Start your blog now!